Audi A1 E-tron Engine facts - Audi A1 : Audi A1 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Audi A1 E-tron Engine facts

For short bursts the electric motor can produce up to 75 horsepower (and 177 pound-feet of torque). Audi says the A1 E-tron can accelerate from zero to 60 miles per hour in 10 seconds. Top speed is about 80 miles per hour. It will travel up to 31 miles on electric power alone, which isn’t really good for much. But for an extended range of up to another 124 miles, the battery pack can be charged by an onboard 20-horsepower, single-rotor 253-cc Wankel rotary engine (fed by a 3.17 gallon fuel tank). Otherwise, the A1 E-tron can be recharged in less than three hours on a 380-volt circuit (good luck finding one of those).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM

Here is an idea for the problem of limited range of Electric Cars.
You can buy a small Honda diesel generator for under $700. IT does not have EPA restrictions on performance. Weld this to a lightweight trailer for another $300. Package it in an all-weather aerodynamic housing, Plug in your electric cord.
Voila, a Diesel Electric Hybrid that can go transcontinental for only $1000 option--the price of a great car stereo---eliminate Range Anxiety.
This could be a great new product for a budding inventor. Call it a diesel Pod or dPod.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Audi’s use of a Wankel motor as a range extender is no less than brilliant. Wankel motors have higher power to weight ratios than regular diesels and gasoline engines. Moreover, they much cost less to produce and they are low in noise and vibration. In volume I believe Audi could produce their 15kW Wankel generator for less than 1500 USD. For comparison, GM’s 53kW Volt generator probably costs 6000 USD in volume.

However, Wankel motors are not very efficient and they are not very durable so they are not used for regular cars. Nevertheless, they could be a brilliant choice for PHEVs because efficiency and durability is not important for a range extender that will only be needed to make the 20% or so of the electricity that the vehicle will use during the year in a typical drive cycle. The remaining 80% of the miles driven is coming from the lithium battery that is at least 95% efficient. A potential serious problem with Wankel engines is that they are dirty. Has Audi solved that problem? Is it EURO 5 compliant and how much does it cost to solve that problem?

Still I would not be surprised to see a huge revival for the Wankel engine in the coming years. Apart from potential emission problems it is the ideal range extender engine.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:12 AM

What's the deal with Wankel engines?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 AM

I think Wankel engines made their claim to fame in the 50's
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I think Wankel engines made their claim to fame in the 50's
Actually, the claim to fame on the Wankel came about with the Mazda RX-7. I think it was the first mass produced vehicle that came equipped with a rotary engine. They are not very reliable at all but are a great concept. I wonder if Audi has ironed out any details to make the one they are using work better. Here's an animation of how one works: Animated Engines, Wankel

I think the 50's one was the Otto rotary engine.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:01 AM

What is the deal with Wankel engines?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi A1 : Audi A1 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page